NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
The objective of the Competition is to solve practical cyber challenges in a simulated environment. The goal of each challenge is to find a “flag,” which is a string of text. The flags for each challenge are submitted to the Administrator in order to receive points. Challenges award varying amounts of points depending on difficulty. The participants with the most points at the end of the Competition wins. The scoreboard is automatically updated to reflect the current state of the Competition. The scoreboard will reflect the final rankings when the Competition ends. In the event of a tie for points, the fastest participant wins. Competitors can participate either virtually or in-person.
- By registering on the Competition Site, each participant acknowledges and agrees to these Official Rules.
- Participants must be on a team and not as an individual and all such teams may have 2-6 team members.
- Virtual team members may be from different geographic areas and on the same team.
- Multiple teams may be from the same military unit.
- In-person Participants must bring their own laptops with them. Laptops must be capable of connecting to an unsecured Wi-Fi network or an Unsecured ethernet link. Administrative Privileges are recommended. A limited number of power strips and extension cords will be available, but please bring some if available.
CYBER CAPTURE THE FLAG COMPETITION
Both the virtual and in-person Competition will begin on Tuesday, May 6, 2024 at 9:00 a.m. ET and conclude on Wednesday, May 8, 2024 at 2:00 p.m. ET (“Competition Period”). The Competition will be completed in one (1) twenty-nine (29) hour period over two (2) days at TWICS or virtually. In-person competitors are invited to continue the Competition from another location while the TWICS exhibit hall is closed.
The top three (3) participants with the most points at the end of the Competition will be the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners. In the event of a tie for points, the fastest participant wins. The scoreboard is automatically updated on the Competition Site to reflect the current state of the Competition. The scoreboard will reflect the final rankings when the Competition Period ends. Winners will be recognized during the day after 2:00 p.m. on May 10, 2023.
- No Outside Help – Participants are not allowed to use outside help during the Competition Period (i.e., no remote and/or unregistered players are allowed). Google/internet research is allowed.
- No Collateral Damage – Only attack systems for which they have explicit permission and are running in the Competition infrastructure (these will be clearly indicated) provided by the Sponsor. No attacks on any systems or equipment outside of this environment are allowed.
- Competition Area – Participants are not allowed to take any of the equipment outside of the Competition area unless explicitly permitted by the Sponsor. Also, please take any phone calls outside the area.
- Brute Forcing – Avoid generating large amounts of traffic and/or brute forcing; none of the challenges can be solved by running automated scanners, so please do not do so. This includes scanning with Nikto, Skipfish, Vega, Nessus, etc. (Nmap and Sqlmap are fine!)
- No Fratricide – Sabotaging or in any way hindering the progress of other participants is strictly not allowed. This includes attempting to alter or disrupt a challenge or service after you have completed it.
- One Team/Multiple Challenges – Each participant may work on multiple challenges at one time, with some restrictions, based on the portal backend software.
- Challenge Progression – Challenges may be attempted in any order. If you are stuck on a challenge, move on to a different challenge.
- Bring Your Own Attack Platform – All teams need to bring their own attack platform(s). We recommend Kali Linux, but this is not a requirement.
- Team Swaps – Only registered participants may swap from one team to another one time from day 1 to day 2 as coordinated with the AFCEA HR staff.
Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any participant for any reason, in its sole and absolute discretion. Sponsor reserves the right to remove any participant from the Competition who does not conform to the ground rules for any reason, in its sole and absolute discretion. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion not to choose winners for the Competition.
The decisions of the judges and Sponsor are final and binding on all matters.
(** Donation made to a charitable organization of the winning team choice? **)
CODE OF CONDUCT / HONOR CODE:
Professional behavior is expected. Each participant is required to maintain the highest standards of integrity throughout the Competition and Conference. Any violation of these Official Rules, including but limited to, the ‘ground rules’ or breaches of integrity will subject a participant to immediate disqualification.
MetaCTF – https://metactf.com/about